Update Utility
steve_81C
2009-03-13 00:13:23 UTC
Can anyone advise of an offline utility that works on w98se that will
scan the os and tell me which updates are needed? Once I know which
patches I need, any good sources for d/l them?
thanatoid
2009-03-13 05:39:16 UTC
Post by steve_81C
Can anyone advise of an offline utility that works on w98se
that will scan the os and tell me which updates are needed?
Look at a few big software sites - there are quite a few, check
the system utilities sections. There are also sites which claim
to do the scanning for you but I wouldn't try that.
Post by steve_81C
Once I know which patches I need, any good sources for d/l
them?
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

But you don't really need any updates unless you are stupid
enough to use IE/OE or MS Office.
--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)
98 Guy
2009-03-13 13:23:13 UTC
Post by thanatoid
Post by steve_81C
Can anyone advise of an offline utility that works on w98se
that will scan the os and tell me which updates are needed?
None from Microsoft (not an offline utility or package).

Why don't you try the on-line updater? You have a problem with that?
Post by thanatoid
Look at a few big software sites
There are also sites which claim to do the scanning for you
but I wouldn't try that.
No sites that I know of that will perform either an on-line or offline
check of a win-98 system and tell you what updates you have or need.
Post by thanatoid
Post by steve_81C
Once I know which patches I need, any good sources for d/l
them?
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
The various third party update packages for 98 will not (to my
knowledge) tell you what you have and what you don't have. They will
simply perform a "brute-force" install of stuff it thinks you need or
should have.
Post by thanatoid
But you don't really need any updates unless you are stupid
enough to use IE/OE or MS Office.
IE6 is fine when it's been "innoculated" with spybot or spyware blaster,
and even better that you're using a third party hosts file.

What's your problem with Office? Office 2k is still supported and the
odd patch is still released for it from time to time.

Win98 and Office 2k is a great combination. I've got (or manage) about
a dozen win-98 systems running Office 2K premium SR1 that were installed
from Micro$oft MSDN CD's. They run rock-solid. Never had a problem
(instability or insecurity / vulnerability) with office 2k. No
validation or product key needed for Office 2K from MSDN CD's.
thanatoid
2009-03-13 19:03:07 UTC
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Post by steve_81C
Can anyone advise of an offline utility that works on
w98se that will scan the os and tell me which updates
are needed?
None from Microsoft (not an offline utility or package).
Why don't you try the on-line updater? You have a problem
with that?
I would never try it but it probably just tells you to get
Vista.
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Look at a few big software sites
There are also sites which claim to do the scanning for
you but I wouldn't try that.
No sites that I know of that will perform either an on-line
or offline check of a win-98 system and tell you what
updates you have or need.
Yes, they usually tell you to update to Vista. That's just one
of the reasons for not using them.
But I would /hope/ there's ONE somewhere that does a 98 system.
Not that I would use it, either.
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Post by steve_81C
Once I know which patches I need, any good sources for
d/l them?
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
The various third party update packages for 98 will not (to
my knowledge) tell you what you have and what you don't
have. They will simply perform a "brute-force" install of
stuff it thinks you need or should have.
Like I said, you don't need them, but if you want them, you got
them.
Of course, you can just visit 3,000 (just guesing) individual MS
pages if you prefer that route.
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
But you don't really need any updates unless you are
stupid enough to use IE/OE or MS Office.
IE6 is fine when it's been "innoculated" with spybot or
spyware blaster, and even better that you're using a third
party hosts file.
If you think so. Is THAT why there have been patches for IE
every other day for the last 15 years?
Post by 98 Guy
What's your problem with Office? Office 2k is still
supported and the odd patch is still released for it from
time to time.
It's a bloated MS pig. Not one person in the world is capable of
using even half of what it can do (such as the "quality" and
"reliability" may be). All most people need is a good Notepad
replacement. Of course, there IS the benefit of deleted stuff
left in Word documents etc. Always good for a laugh (or more).
Post by 98 Guy
Win98 and Office 2k is a great combination. I've got (or
manage) about a dozen win-98 systems running Office 2K
premium SR1 that were installed from Micro$oft MSDN CD's.
They run rock-solid. Never had a problem (instability or
insecurity / vulnerability) with office 2k. No validation
or product key needed for Office 2K from MSDN CD's.
Wonderful.
--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)
98 Guy
2009-03-13 23:43:47 UTC
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
Why don't you try the on-line updater? You have a problem
with that?
I would never try it but it probably just tells you to get
Vista.
Don't be a weenie. Windowsupdate.com still works for win-98.
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
No sites that I know of that will perform either an on-line
or offline check of a win-98 system and tell you what
updates you have or need.
Yes, they usually tell you to update to Vista. That's just one
of the reasons for not using them.
No, they usually tell you that they only run on 2K or XP. I doubt much
of any third-party utilities run on Vista.
Post by thanatoid
But I would /hope/ there's ONE somewhere that does a 98 system.
Windowsupdate.com
Post by thanatoid
Not that I would use it, either.
Luzer.
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
IE6 is fine when it's been "innoculated" with spybot or
spyware blaster, and even better that you're using a third
party hosts file.
If you think so. Is THAT why there have been patches for IE
every other day for the last 15 years?
Those patches are mostly for NT-based OS's. There have been very few IE
exploits that execute correctly on win-98, and none to my knowledge that
haven't been patched.
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
What's your problem with Office? Office 2k is still
supported and the odd patch is still released for it from
time to time.
It's a bloated MS pig.
So don't install all of it.

And you think anything else that came after it is _less_ bloated?
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
I've got (or manage) about a dozen win-98 systems running
Office 2K premium SR1 that were installed from Micro$oft
MSDN CD's. They run rock-solid. Never had a problem
(instability or insecurity / vulnerability) with office
2k. No validation or product key needed for Office 2K from
MSDN CD's.
Wonderful.
I think so. It's a good feeling to cheat and thieve from Microsoft by
violating their EULA and deny them revenue. By using their own 10 year
old software, it's my way to show them that they can't compete with
their own past products. They can take XP and Vista and Win-7 and shove
it up all their developer's ass. Hear that Ballmer? Do you?
thanatoid
2009-03-14 02:18:36 UTC
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
Why don't you try the on-line updater? You have a
problem with that?
I would never try it but it probably just tells you to get
Vista.
Don't be a weenie. Windowsupdate.com still works for
win-98.
Well, I never used WU in my life and my computers run just great
unless I do something stupid.
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
No sites that I know of that will perform either an
on-line or offline check of a win-98 system and tell you
what updates you have or need.
Yes, they usually tell you to update to Vista. That's just
one of the reasons for not using them.
No, they usually tell you that they only run on 2K or XP.
I doubt much of any third-party utilities run on Vista.
Hey, it's been out for a couple of years IIRC... They should be
getting around to it by now, just in time for Win7 to be
released!
Post by thanatoid
Not that I would use it, either.
Luzer.
Maybe.
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
IE6 is fine when it's been "innoculated" with spybot or
spyware blaster, and even better that you're using a
third party hosts file.
If you think so. Is THAT why there have been patches for
IE every other day for the last 15 years?
Those patches are mostly for NT-based OS's. There have
been very few IE exploits that execute correctly on win-98,
and none to my knowledge that haven't been patched.
Well, that's why we use 98. And considering what you just said,
WHY even start the thread?
Post by 98 Guy
Post by thanatoid
Post by 98 Guy
What's your problem with Office? Office 2k is still
supported and the odd patch is still released for it
from time to time.
It's a bloated MS pig.
So don't install all of it.
Or better, don't install ANY of it. You JUST realize the
shitload of M<S crap it dumps into all sorts of directories
which have NOTHING to do with the "office" program itself?
Post by 98 Guy
And you think anything else that came after it is _less_
bloated?
No, which is why I don't use ANY Office suite. I used an old
version of Ability when I needed a spreadsheet program which
worked on 98. It was a much better option to installing Office
97 which I have but refuse to install (I used it once to make a
database in Access).

<SNIP>
Post by 98 Guy
I think so. It's a good feeling to cheat and thieve from
Microsoft by violating their EULA and deny them revenue.
By using their own 10 year old software, it's my way to
show them that they can't compete with their own past
products. They can take XP and Vista and Win-7 and shove
it up all their developer's ass. Hear that Ballmer? Do
you?
I'm with you there.