Registry Cleaners - Free Registry Repair Software
i***@yahoo.com
2007-12-21 08:48:22 UTC
Have you been having problems lately with your registry? There are
several reasons why windows registry errors occur. Common problems
include incomplete software application uninstalls, outdated data
entries and fragmented data. The resulting problems your computer will
show are slower performances, failure to execute common windows
applications and even the possibility of total system failure.
If you want to keep your registry in top notch you will have to make
use of registry software tools which can automatically cure your
windows registry. These programs come with default configurations
which allow them to fix the most common errors a computer will
encounter. This will ultimately improve the overall performance of
your computer.
It is also important to utilize a registry cleaner which can make
backups of your registry before it deletes the erroneous files. This
will allow you to restore any important registry files instantly if
the need be. You don't need to worry much about this as most registry
cleaners do just enough to restore your system to a good health and it
is rare that you will need to backup your registry....

Registry Repair: http://groups.google.com/group/regrepairsbv
Gary S. Terhune
2007-12-21 19:30:29 UTC
NEVER, EVER use a Registry Cleaner!!

NEVER!!!

EVER!!!
--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
rsayles
Gary S. Terhune
2008-08-11 18:54:06 UTC
Because they quite often offer up items for deletion that should NOT be
deleted, and relatively few users know the difference. Thus we regularly get
systems that somebody tried to "fix" or "tune-up" using a Registry Cleaner
(and usually additional utilities that are just as bad) only to make things
worse to the point of requiring a full reformat and reinstallation. Unless,
of course, the user happens to have a backup to resort to.
--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
mickabersdad
2008-12-16 01:49:01 UTC
What about a situation where I used "Disk Cleanup" in XP, and now I can't
watch any online videos. Message from websites say I need to enable Java
Scripts. I have checked under security tab, and Java Scripts is engaged. When
I go to Adobe to download Flash Player it will not engage the download. What
do I do to fix this mess???
Buffalo
2008-12-16 15:11:10 UTC
Post by mickabersdad
What about a situation where I used "Disk Cleanup" in XP, and now I
can't watch any online videos. Message from websites say I need to
enable Java Scripts. I have checked under security tab, and Java
Scripts is engaged. When I go to Adobe to download Flash Player it
will not engage the download. What do I do to fix this mess???
Perhaps you could try uninstalling Java and reinstalling it or even try the
System Restore feature in XP.
MEB
2008-12-17 05:09:42 UTC
George
2009-08-28 03:08:01 UTC
By whatever means neccessary.
Post by MEB

| > What about a situation where I used "Disk Cleanup" in XP, and now I
| > can't watch any online videos. Message from websites say I need to
| > enable Java Scripts. I have checked under security tab, and Java
| > Scripts is engaged. When I go to Adobe to download Flash Player it
| > will not engage the download. What do I do to fix this mess???
| >

| Perhaps you could try uninstalling Java and reinstalling it or even try
the
| System Restore feature in XP.

May need to download the driver installations locally. Definitely needed for
JAVA if it balks at web install, and if you want the other junk,, err, Flash
and Shockwave, download those as well [one download IIRC]. To ensure you
have the old JAVA version uninstalled, download and run Microsoft's "Windows
Install Clean up Utility" [located in OFFICE downloads] if you can't
uninstall it from the Control Panel or Installed Programs..
Might also want to check the browser's settings and make sure you haven't
disabled scripting and JAVA. Also make sure you haven't disabled scripting
globally [system-wise] via a tweak or hive modification..
AND if running FireFox and have installed NO SCRIPT you will need to enable
scripting for the particular site, DO NOT enable for all sites, but on a
site by site basis.
--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org
~~
NotANerd
2009-09-12 03:59:01 UTC
I have been having a bad problem with an adobe flash plug in. and i went to
adobe site and they have a removal tool there that will make sure all
previous versions get off the computer. then reinstall.

it helped clear some crap off here but the latest update still is
incompatible with some of my favorite site. there is a note on the site that
says the plugin 10 has some glitches still.

also deleting all versions of java then going to java site to download fixes
a lot of problems I had in the past.
tina
2009-09-08 00:19:01 UTC
i see you are saying to never run a registry cleaner. i have an issue with
my laptop in which it will download microsoft updates but give an error on
why it cant install them. followed everything that can be done to load it
and was told it is a toshiba computer problem. i talked with toshiba and
they say that it is a registry glitch. of course i did try to run a registry
cleaner and it didnt fix the problem that i still have which is that this
laptop can not install any updates. i am at my whits end and now am paranoid
since i just got done running the registry cleaner (not that it worked)
Tempest
2010-01-22 05:47:37 UTC
Ok...use a registry cleaner...don't use a registry cleaner. What is the best
way for those of us who don't know diddly about registry cleaners and error
messages to be sure that whomever we take our precious electronic lifelines
to in order to be repaired, actually knows 1) whether or not to use a
registry cleaner and 2) HOW to use it properly if used 3) how to actually
fix the darn thing before I take a hammer to it.

I continually get an error message when trying to defrag the hard drive
which says " Defragmentation was aborted due to inconsistencies in the file
system." I keep getting told varying reasons for this error ranging from not
being signed in as the Administrator ( checked it, that isn't it) , to
needing to run a registry REPAIR program. System Recovery doesn't work,
system restore doesn't work. I'm ready to pull my hair out.
ernie
2010-02-09 00:01:47 UTC
Hi there Tempest,
I am guessing that you are not using Windows 98 but in that OS the file system
integrity is tested , and repaired, using Scandisk.

Windows XP requires less defragging, but I don't know of any equivalent to
scandisk in that OS.

If you don't know about the registry you must leave these cleaners alone. If you
think that a cleaner has hosed your file system you should restore the deleted
registry entries and try defrag again. It seems unlikely that this is your
problem but YMMV.

Best of luck,
ern
98 Guy
2010-02-09 13:27:05 UTC
Hi there Tempest, I am guessing that you are not using Windows 98
Why would he post in a win-98 newsgroup then?
Post by Tempest
Ok...use a registry cleaner...don't use a registry cleaner.
What is the best way for those of us who don't know diddly
about registry cleaners and error messages
Re-install your operating system.

Go buy a new hard drive, get your win-98se CD (or download one via
torrent if you don't have one) and re-install win-98 on your new drive,
then copy all your files to the new drive.

If you're still running win-98 on it's original drive, then the drive is
going to be old, and drives become prone to failure as they age.
ernie

thejamie
2010-05-07 09:14:01 UTC
This link is a bit out-dated, but in the interest of keeping information
updated:
There is a utility:
WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEAN UP UTILITY
There is an article here about how it works:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.08.utilityspotlight.aspx
Here is the download:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

There is general advice out there to use this utility for NetFramework
installations with a version number under 3.0 ie, Framework 1, Frameword 1.1,
Framework 2.0, Office 2000, Office 2003... (not Office 2007).

I find the tool more useful for cleaning ActiveX entries from the registry
that appear as a result of a VB6 link library - often there can be hundreds
of registry entries - the msizap - part of the sdk, simply removes them -
addditionally, the tool does a great job at removing itself.

The most difficult task I have when it is needed, is finding it on the web
because the name is hard to remember. It is an "installer" cleanup... first
written to remove a bad install of Framework 1, when Framework 1.1 came out.
--
Regards,
Jamie
.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2010-11-06 22:00:13 UTC
Post by ernie
You might equally ask "Why do You not think Tempest is using Win98".
ern.
Well, among other things, he said "I keep getting told varying reasons
for this error ranging from not being signed in as the Administrator" -
which he wouldn't be getting under '9x.
Post by Tempest
Ok...use a registry cleaner...don't use a registry cleaner.
What is the best way for those of us who don't know diddly
about registry cleaners and error messages
Re-install your operating system.
Go buy a new hard drive, get your win-98se CD (or download one via
torrent if you don't have one) and re-install win-98 on your new drive,
then copy all your files to the new drive.
If you're still running win-98 on it's original drive, then the drive is
going to be old, and drives become prone to failure as they age.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)***@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

People wear anoraks because it's cold outside and it rains, not to annoy the
editors of style magazines. - Ben Elton, Radio Times 18-24 April 1998
98 Guy
2010-11-06 22:43:48 UTC
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

(...)

Is there any particular reason you feel compelled to post a reply to a
9-month-old post?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2010-11-07 10:12:29 UTC
Post by 98 Guy
(...)
Is there any particular reason you feel compelled to post a reply to a
9-month-old post?
Ah, I'm gillivering again! (http://www.umra.freeuk.com/nicks.html for
one definition - don't use the search box).

I had to rebuild by news database yesterday, and it threw up some old
posts as unread. I replied to one or two before I noticed.

preciousone
2009-03-02 12:58:12 UTC
Good morning: I have been receiving this message on yahoo: SERVER ERROR
40402 , now is this a registry fix up,in some other information I have read
say it is registry problem.. I have defrag my laptop,, I can't add
information on yahoo on my contail details, when i save the information. I am
getting frustrated, i trust microsoft's products, Do you however have a free
download website that i can down load this to fix this problem,,, I would
appreciate some advise on what to do with my problem I am having. I don't
trust no other products except Microsoft, thank you for your time.. I look
forward to hearing from your response.

L.Zeke